Friday, May 18

Go Nuts!

I ventured up the Old Northern Highway with a group of Volunteers to Lucky Strike Village. Nearby is the most visited Maya site in Belize, Altun Ha, which means "water of the rocks." From the Temple of the Sun God we enjoyed a beautiful Belize sunset.


On Sunday I was woken up by the morning chorus of birds. The sun was just peaking above the trees and glowing like red ember. My bird I.D. skills are pretty good now, I know quite a few birds by sight and sound. I added two new birds to my checklist for Belize. The best find for me was a small group of Cedar Waxwings. First I heard the familiar high-pitched whistle and sure enough they were right above me. Cedar Waxwings are an irregular winter visitor in Belize, some years they are not seen at all. The bird pictured below is a Clay-colored Robin, which has a beautiful song.



Our team, the Gibnuts, didn't show up in full force this weekend so we played a 9-on-9 football game against Lucky Strike. Off to good start, we didn't give up any early goals. However, Lucky Strike scored 2 or 3 three goals before the Gibnuts roared back. I got a short pass from my teammate and was face-to-face with the opposing goalie. I booted the ball with left foot and watched it curve around him into the goal. The second half was much like the first. We gave a few goals and took one for our team. Lucky Strike hit the magic number, scoring 7 goals against the Gibnuts 2. Better luck next time. Go Nuts!